Dean Turpin -- Senior Software Engineer
Senior software engineer with 20+ years of commercial experience. Motivated self-learner, advocate of modern C++, Linux, automation and knowledge sharing. Open to relocation.
- Languages: C++20/23, Python, Bash; OOP, Functional
- Design: Multithreading, Data Structures, Algorithms, low-latency
- Build: VS Code, QtCreator, Visual Studio, GitHub GNU Make, CMake, GitHUb Copilot
- Source control: Git, Subversion
- CI/CD: GitLab CI, Google Cloud, Jenkins
- API: CryptoCompare, MarketStack, OpenAI, gSOAP
- Protocols: FIX, XMPP, SIP, PCM
- UI: Qt, JUCE, MFC
- Unit test/profiling: Google Benchmark, Google Test, gprof, TDD
- Networking: Wireshark, Asterisk, OSI (TCP/UDP)
- CPU: Intel, ARM, SPARC
- OS: Ubuntu, Windows 11, Solaris, VxWorks
- Database: PostgreSQL, MariaDB, DBeaver
- Documentation: MkDocs, Doxygen, Mermaid, Confluence, UML
- Dev: Agile, Jira, Slack
- Education: Computer Science BSc. 2:2 from Manchester University
C++ experience and side-projects
Commercially I develop using C++17, so I feel it is important to explore the latest C++ features in my personal projects. These cover subjects such as trading strategy backtesting, audio processing, data visualisation and OpenAI. I'm an advocate of ad-hoc scripting for rapid development of ideas, and I believe a solid foundation in ubiquitous languages like Bash and Python is essential in CI and cloud computing. I also have an interest in a more functional approach offered by compile-time programming, and I consider profiling and benchmarking an integral and continuous part of the development process for low-latency applications.
Currently a reviewer/TE on an unpublished C++ book aimed at junior developers.
See my personal projects: https://deanturp.in/.
Top level domains
Tech stack (2023-12-05)
|Work||C++17||GitLab on prem||Ubuntu 20.04||g++ 9||Jira||Qt 5.15.2, CMake 3.16.3, clang-format, Wirehshark, bash, DBeaver, vim, pjsip 2.14|
|Home||C++23||gitlab.com||Ubuntu 24.04||g++ 13.2.0-7ubuntu1||GitLab||VS Code, CMake 3.27.7, Google Cloud, GoogleTest/Benchmark, gprof, Linux kernel 6.5.0-10-generic, GitHub Copilot, Python 3.12.0+|
Technologies that have had a positive, lasting impact on me as a developer.
- 2023: Google Benchmark, Haskell, ChatGPT,
shellcheck, AVX, GitHub Copilot, OpenSCAD
- 2022: SIP, GitBook, Compiler Explorer (on prem), GitLab (on prem), GitLab service desk, git worktrees, FIX,
constexpr(for UB), GoogleTest, VS Code web IDE
std::format, TMP, C++20 ranges and views (lazy evaluation)
- 2020: Blender, Media servers, ZeroMQ, Tracy profiler, Raspberry Pi
- 2019: Cloud computing, R/notebooks, GitLab, Hugo
- 2018: Docker
- 2017: Cryptocurrency, blockchain
- 2016: C++1z
- 2015: git, GitHub
- Rendered with ♥ on Tue Dec 5 20:47:25 UTC 2023 by an Ubuntu 9 (stretch) VM
- Last commit message "examples"
- Quote of the day ""